Freestyle/Toon-Shaded Georgiana in Spacesuit
Toon-shaded background model for a scene in Baikonur in the pilot
"Present Day" ISS as render in anime-inspired NPR style
Current Status: Beginning Principal Animation
Wow. This week, I've started animating! We've had some nearly-final shots for awhile -- the "Earth in Space" shots, but those were kind of trivial. I'm now working on a complex "real" shot for the first time. It's a particularly tough one close to the beginning of the Pilot (and the "Prolog" and the "Preview" based on the Pilot). I'll go into some detail on the construction of this shot in our Patreon "Patron Newsletter" this month. (read more)
Lunatics is a new animated series being produced by Anansi Spaceworks which will follow the first true extra-terrestrial colonists in their new life in a Lunar Homestead.
There comes a time when exploration has to change to development, when outposts are replaced by settlements, and when space becomes not just a place to work, but a place to live. This is the mission of the International Space Foundation's lunar colony project, led by space visionary Dr. Robert Lerner and dynastic space entrepreneur Anya Titova-Farmer.
In the pilot episode, they are joined by their respective families, forming the basis for the colony: Lerner's wife Hiromi Aoki Lerner and young daughter Georgiana and Titova-Farmer's husband Joshua Farmer and teenage son Igor Timothy Farmer.
Follow-up episodes introduce the "Meta-Conceptual" resident artist, R. Allen Emerson and planetary geologist Dr. Sarah Allison.
Some Basic Facts About Lunatics
- Our voice cast includes Paul Birchard, Karrie Shirou, Veronika Kurshinskaya, William Roberts, and Lex Quarterman.
- Written by Rosalyn Hunter.
- Directed and produced by Terry Hancock.
- Character designs by Daniel Fu.
- The story will start with a pilot episode of about 60 minutes, titled "No Children in Space." Later episodes will shoot for about 45 minutes, but since we are releasing online, we'll allow a range from 30 to 60 minutes to suit the story.
- It will be released under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license, version 3.0, through various online video hosting services.
- Free-culture business model, based on pre-sales and Creator Endorsed sales.
- Main series will be 3D Animated in an NPR rendering style.
- Animated mainly with Blender using the "Blender Internal" rendering engine and Freestyle.
- Audio drama episode, "Earth".
- A storyboard animatic has been created to guide production of the animated pilot, "No Children in Space".
- Some of the exterior spacecraft shots for the pilot have been pre-visualized.
- A two-minute demo/teaser animation was created showing the launch into space from Georgiana Lerner's point of view. This was one option for visual style, although we are now probably going to do a more NPR look than this.
- Blender models for the Soyuz launch system have been completed by Chris Kuhn (Exterior models of "Baikonur Start" launch pad, Soyuz launch vehicle, and "Soyuz-SF" orbiter).
- Blender models for the Lunar Transportation System "Service Module" and "Lander" have been completed by Chris Kuhn, including some earlier work by Vyacheslav Yastrebcev on the Lander.
- A Blender interior set for the "Soyuz Descent Module" was completed by our Summer 2011 production team.
- Blender models have been created by Bela Szabo for principal characters "Georgiana", "Hiromi", "Josh", "Anya", and "Tim" as well as "Sergei" for the pilot.
- A temporary rig exists for the "Spacesuited Georgiana" model used in the Soyuz launch teaser, including Andrew Pray's spacesuit model created in 2011.
- Writing backstory for the major characters and art design work are available in our Pre-Production Artbook & Writer's Guide (PDF Downloads).
- Voice recording is finished for "No Children in Space" (pilot episode) and "Earth" (episode 2).
- Script for episode 3 ("Cyborg") is nearly finished (currently being edited).
- Brief treatments have been written for all of Season 1, and some of Season 2 (subject to revision).
- Chris Kuhn has begun work on "Space Station Alpha" (a future, extended version of the current International Space Station).
- Bela Szabo is continuing modeling the principal characters: "Rob", "Allen", and "Sarah" are next.
- Terry Hancock is working on project administration, promotions for the audio drama, assisting Chris and Bela with references and direction, and creating a pre-viz model for the ISF-1 colony set.
- Rosalyn Hunter is working on the novella for "No Children in Space" and the script for "Cyborg" (episode 3).